NHCPR Military Readiness Clinic
Support readiness with quality healthcare for all service components.
The staff at the Naval Health Clinic Patuxent River Military Readiness Clinic (MRC) is dedicated to providing outstanding, high-quality care to all of active duty and reserve personnel. The MRC has three key elements: Military Medicine, Aviation Medicine and the Periodic Health Assessment (PHA). Our dedicated and motivated staff upholds the highest standards of professionalism and work diligently to ensure the medical readiness of all personnel onboard Naval Air Station Patuxent River.
Periodic Health Assessment (PHA)
To start your yearly PHA
3. The PHA office will contact you via email to inform you of any medical readiness deficiencies. Common deficiencies include:
Eye exam- Yearly, if required
HIV Screening- Every 2 years
Cholesterol Testing- Every 3 years (males over 35 years old, females over 45 years old)
Audiogram- Yearly, if required
4. Medical readiness deficiencies MUST be resolved before you can schedule with a provider. Once delinquent items are resolved, contact the PHA office via e-Mail so we can schedule your phone interview.
5. The PHA office will schedule your phone interview with a provider to complete your PHA. Please ensure your ringer is on, your phone has Do Not Disturb turned off, and you have adequate cell service.
6. The PHA is only signed off once a provider has completed an interview of the service member.
7. It may take up to 5 days for your PHA to be recorded as completed in the PRIMS system, unfortunately there is no way around this.
Three (3) failed telephone call attempts by the provider will result in a No-Show for the interview.
Missed PHA interviews will be rescheduled at the soonest available date but expect your rescheduled interview to be no less than ONE WEEK from the time you speak with the provider.
If two (2) PHA interviews are missed, Member’s Chain of Command is notified.
Military Medicine provides medical care to all Active-Duty and Reserve Personnel.
Sick call is by appointment only.
We provide the following services, including but not limited to:
- Follow-up emergency room visits, prescriptions, X-rays, etc.
- Medical Home Care (sick call-related injuries and illnesses)
- Specialty Care Referrals
- Evaluation of Physical Activity Risk Factor Questionnaire (PARFQ)-identified risks
- Physical Readiness Test (PRT) waivers
We provide services for medical clearance and qualifications through a range of physical exams. All annual physicals require renewal by the last day of the member's birth month. All annual physicals are done in two parts during the 60 days preceding the last day of the member's birth month.
- Flight Physicals (Long Form*, Short Form)
- Flight Deck Physicals
- Initial/Candidate Flight Physical*
- Commissioning Physical*
- Select Passenger*
*Fasting labs are required. See important notes below for further information.
PHA: See PHA steps above.
Flight Physical Process
Part One is done by appointment through the PHA Office, which is open Monday-Thursday from 0800-1600 and on Friday from 0800-1400. Preliminary requirements will be initiated at that appointment, including vision screening, electrocardiogram, vital signs, Individual Medical Readiness, in-depth medical reviews, labs, PHA review, waiver requirements, etc.
After all Part One prerequisites have been completed, an appointment with the Flight Surgeon will be scheduled at a later date. Most Part Two appointments take place within 1-2 weeks of initiating Part One. Please see important notes below.
Important Notes for All Exams:
- Lab requirements vary based on the type of exam being performed. All exams marked with an asterisk require you to fast from food and beverage for 12 hours. You may drink water during the fasting period. Lab values must be returned prior to scheduling Part Two.
- If you require any additional information or are unsure of the requirements related to an exam, please call Aviation Medicine at 301-342-0029.
- All medical visits are official Navy business; therefore, Uniform of the Day is required unless on leave status.