Your medical record is used to:
• Evaluate your condition and treatment.
• Plan for your care.
• Document evidence of your medical diagnosis, treatment, and change in condition.
• Keep information current.
• Communicate between your practitioner and all other healthcare professionals who contribute to your care.
• Assist you in protecting the legal interests of you, Naval Health Clinic (NHC) Patuxent River, your practitioner, the U.S. Navy, and the U.S. Government.
It is for these reasons, that NHC Patuxent River is aggressively enforcing a "Closed Medical Records System."
What is a 'Closed Medical Records System'?
A system that enables NHC Patuxent River to maintain positive custody of our beneficiaries' medical records at all times. This means that your medical record will never leave this clinic while you are enrolled here. This eliminates the possibility of it being lost and ensures its availability when needed.
"Why can't I keep my medical record?
- It is GOVERNMENT PROPERTY
- ARTICLE 16-10 of the Manual of the Medical Department prohibits the hand carrying of medical records by patients.
- It is needed to ensure that current information such as lab reports, radiology results, medications and treatment plans are records in your file.
- It ensures medical readiness for Active Duty members.
- If your medical record is kept at home, it is impossible for our trained medical records staff to maintain and update it as needed, and it will not be available for review before scheduled appointments.
"What happens when I come for an appointment at NHC Patuxent River?"
Maintenance of your medical record at NHC Patuxent River allows our medical records staff to pre-deliver your record to your scheduled appointment and pick it up afterwards. This means your provider will have the opportunity to review your medical history before your arrival. It also eliminates the need for you to pick up and return your record after your appointment.
"What happens when I have an appointment at another facility?"
• Copies of all information pertaining to the referral will be provided for you to take to the appointment.
• The documentation of that appointment will be delivered to NHC Patuxent River by courier or mail and filed in your medical record.
As an accredited medical facility, NHC Patuxent River abides by standards and policies that ensure the privacy and confidentiality of your treatment information.
"What are my options?"
We understand how important your medical information is to you, and we will be happy to make a copy for your personal files. The first copy is provided free of charge. Subsequent copies can be made for a fee in accordance with NHC Patuxent River instructions.
- Paper - If over 1000 pages, a CD will be used.
- DOD Safe (Electronic) - Email is needed
- Mail - Subject to standard mailing times
- DOD-Safe (Electronic)
"How do I request a copy of my Medical Record?"
EX: I hereby request a complete copy of my medical record placed on CD for pick-up.
"How do I give access to request/release my Medical Information/Records to my Parent/Spouse/Significant other?"
What to Bring With You
- Your military ID card.
- Your PCS orders
- Your IA orders