Primary care is a health service you get from a primary care provider or primary care manager (or PCM) during a doctor’s visit. Some of these services include:
• Routine care, like an annual physical exam
• Medical treatment for nonemergency or nonurgent care
• Follow-up care if you have ongoing medical problems
• Preventive health care, like immunizations and allergy shots
• Family planning
• Patient education and counseling
Primary care also includes medically necessary diagnostic laboratory and X-ray procedures and tests. Primary care is used to treat adults and children, including infants and newborns.
Naval Health Clinic Patuxent River provides Primary Care, a Military Readiness Clinic and select specialty services, including Occupational Health, Physical Therapy, Behavioral Health and Dental. We are not an Emergency Room and cannot provide emergency care nor sick calls.
An appointment is required. You should be able to be seen:
- Within seven days for most non-acute appointments
- Within 24 hours for most acute appointments
- Same-day under exceptional circumstances ONLY IF there is provider availability (providers are fully booked most days)
Please plan in advance for physicals, Periodic Health Assessments (PHAs), medical clearances and other routine care appointments. The turnaround time for prescription refills is three business days
Patients who come to the clinic without an appointment
will be screened by our staff and, if in need of urgent care, will have the following options:
- Be scheduled for the next available appointment
- Be provided a referral to be seen by the network, such as an urgent care facility, if no appointments are available
Other options include:
Make an appointment using the TRICARE Online Patient Portal or call the One Number Appointment Line: 855-227-6331.
- Call the Military Health System (MHS) Nurse Advice Line: 1-800-TRICARE (874-2273) option 1
- Use the Doctor on Demand service (referral required for active duty)